Study Permits Canada | Herr Law Group

Study Permits for International Students Pursuing Their Studies in Canada

Do you want to know your eligibility for Study Permits for international students in Canada?

Call us or take less than a minute to fill our Online Assessment.

Within 24 hours of your request, one of our immigration specialists will contact you to schedule a phone or Skype consultation.

Start Your Online Assessment

Or Call Us: +1 (604) 372-0499

If you want to study at a Canadian institution as an international student, you are required to apply for a study permit. Study permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Study permits authorize you to study at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.

However, you do not require a study permit if the following conditions apply to your case:

  • Your study program is for 6 months or less
  • Minor children inside of Canada
  • You are accompanying a foreign representative as a family member or staff
  • You are a member of the armed forces of a country designated for the purposes of the Visiting Forces Act
  • Registered Indians

Who is Eligible for a Study Permit?

The following requirements need to be satisfied to be eligible for a study permit in Canada:

  • Have an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada
  • Demonstrate sufficient financial resources to support your stay in Canada
  • Not be criminally inadmissible
  • Clear a medical examination if required
  • Convince an immigration officer that you intend to leave Canada after your study permit expires

What Programs are Offered Under Study Permits?

Work While Studying: As an international student, a study permit in Canada allows you to Work While Studying without the need to apply for a work permit. You are eligible to work while studying only if your study program is for a period of more than 6 months and will lead to a degree, diploma or certificate.

Working Off-Campus: Working off-campus means working with an employer outside your university. Having a study permit authorizes you to work off-campus for 20 hours per week during the academic season and full-time during scheduled breaks.

Student Direct Stream: As an international student, the Student Direct Stream (SDS) gives you the opportunity to fast-track the process of your study permit. However, you must be a resident of one of the eligible countries and provide an upfront Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) to be considered.

What is the Process of Getting a Study Permit?

If your study permit application is approved, then you will receive a Letter of Introduction (LOI) that needs to be presented to an immigration officer on arrival.

If you are from a visa-exempt country, then you need to acquire an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

If you are not from a visa-exempt country, then you need a Temporary Resident Visa. However, you do not need to apply for a TRV separately. If your study permit is approved, a visa will be inserted into your passport.

What Else do You Need to Know About Study Permits?

Extending or Renewing Study Permits: As an international student, extending or renewing your Study Permit is essential to maintain your legal status when your current study permit expires.

You must apply before your current status expires. If you apply after your study permit has expired, then you must restore your status within 90 days.

Spouses and Family of International Students: A request for the authorization of accompanying Spouses and Family of International Students Studying in Canada can be included in a study permit.

Your spouse will be eligible to apply for an open work permit in Canada if you are enrolled as a full-time student in a designated learning institution.

Study Permit Processing Time

The processing times for a Study Permit depend on the country of residence for the applicant. This can range from within one week to several months.

Study Permit Refusal

These are some of the top reasons why a Study Permit may be refused:

  1. Lack of ties to your country of residence
  2. Educational history
  3. Employment prospects in the country of residence
  4. Financial insufficiency
  5. Inability to satisfy the reviewing officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Study Permits

Am I allowed to apply for a study permit from within Canada?

Generally, you must apply for a study permit from outside of Canada. Under certain circumstances, you may be able to apply for a study permit from within Canada.

What is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)?

An institution that is approved by a province or territory to grant degrees to international students is a designated learning institution. There are 10 provinces and 3 territories in Canada.

Am I allowed to work in Canada on a study permit?

A study permit authorizes you to work on or work off-campus for 20 hours per week during the academic season and full-time during the scheduled breaks.

Am I allowed to change my university or study program?

You need to inform the IRCC if you intend to change your study institute or study program.

Why Contact Herr Law Group for an Assessment?

Congratulations on taking your first step towards applying for a Study Permit in Canada.

Immigration lawyers at Herr Law Group dedicate themselves to your immigration case, providing legal representation tailored to your personal situation.

Our expertise focuses on immigration and visa programs for Canada, including global immigration.

Partnering with an award-winning immigration team greatly increases the likelihood of achieving your specific immigration or visa goals.

Immigration is a complex process that requires strong legal strategy, precise paperwork and perfect attention to detail and experience dealing with immigration officials and government departments, reducing the risk of wasted time, money or permanent rejection.

Begin Your Application for a Study Permit Today!

Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online immigration assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-604-372-0499.

We have a dedicated team of licensed professionals standing by, ready to answer your immigration and visa questions. We’ve been helping people from over 120 countries for over a decade and can help you too.

Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference.

We’re open 6am-9pm PST & EST, 7 days a week and are ready for in person, phone, and video consultations.

Looking for advice? Not sure where to start?
Contact us and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.

Get in touch