Open Work Permits Canada | Herr Law Group

Open Work Permits in Canada and How They Work

Do you want to know your eligibility for an Open Work Permit for Canada?

Call us or take less than a minute to fill our Online Assessment.

Within 24 hours of your request, one of our immigration specialists will contact you to schedule a phone or Skype consultation.

Start Your Online Assessment

Or Call Us: +1 (604) 372-0499

An open work permit authorizes a foreign national to work in Canada for any employer and in any location.

If you are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), then you are eligible to apply for an open work permit.

If you want to extend or change your work permit, then you can apply 30 days before your current permit expires.

What are the Types of Open Work Permits?

There are 2 types of open work permits:

Unrestricted open work permits allow you to work for any employer and in any location in Canada.

Restricted open work permits restrict you to work under certain occupations or a specific location.

Location restricted open work permits allow you to only work in Canada in certain locations, for example, a bridging open work permit under the Provincial Nominee Program would restrict work to the province or territory that you’re staying in.

An occupation-restricted open work permit restricts you from working in child care, primary or secondary school teaching, the health services occupations, and agricultural occupations.

Who is Eligible for an Open Work Permit?

To be eligible to apply for an open work permit, you must be:

  • A spouse or common-law partner of a foreign skilled worker
  • A spouse or common-law partner of an international student
  • An international student that graduated from a study program that lasted longer than 8 months
  • Applied for permanent residence through the inland spousal sponsorship
  • A participant in programs offered by International Experience Canada (IEC)
  • Living in Canada as a refugee or protected person and their family members

What are the Different Programs that Issue an Open Work Permit?

Open work permits are most commonly granted through the following programs:

Inland Spousal Sponsorship Open Work Permit: The Inland Spousal Sponsorship Open Work Permit is for the spouses of Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

You must have a valid temporary residence permit and an application for permanent residency under process to be eligible to apply. An open permit will allow you to work anywhere for any Canadian employer.

Post-Graduate Work Permit: The Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) is for international students who have graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI).

Open work permits allow students to gain Canadian experience after completing their study program. The validity of this permit is based on the length of your study program.

Bridging Open Work Permit: You are eligible to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) if you have already applied for permanent residency under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, the Canadian Experience Class or to the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

It is an open work permit, valid for 6 months, that allows you to work anywhere with any Canadian employer.

What are the Exceptions to an Unrestricted Open Work Permit?

An unrestricted open work permit still exempts you to work for the following employers:

  • Ineligible employers that are noncompliant with the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) regulations
  • Employers offering services like striptease, erotic dance, escort services, or erotic massages.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Open Work Permits

Do I need a job offer to apply for an open work permit?

No, you do not require a job offer to apply for an open work permit.

How many hours can I work on an open work permit?

You are permitted to work 2 jobs and more than 60 hours per week on an open work permit.

How many times can I renew my open work permit in Canada?

There is no limit to the number of times an open work permit can be extended.

Do I need a medical examination for my open work permit?

Work permits including open work permits require you to clear a medical exam for temporary foreign worker applications. If you fail your medical examination, you may be granted an occupation restricted work permit.

Why Contact Herr Law Group for an Assessment?

Congratulations on taking your first step towards the Open Work Permit process in Canada.

Immigration lawyers at Herr Law Group dedicate themselves to your immigration case, providing legal representation tailored to your personal situation.

Our expertise focuses on immigration and visa programs for Canada, including global immigration.

Partnering with an award-winning immigration team greatly increases the likelihood of achieving your specific immigration or visa goals.

Immigration is a complex process that requires strong legal strategy, precise paperwork and perfect attention to detail and experience dealing with immigration officials and government departments, reducing the risk of wasted time, money or permanent rejection.

Begin Your Application for an Open Work Permit Today!

Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online immigration assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-604-372-0499.

We have a dedicated team of licensed professionals standing by, ready to answer your immigration and visa questions. We’ve been helping people from over 120 countries for over a decade and can help you too.

Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference.

We’re open 6am-9pm PST & EST, 7 days a week and are ready for in person, phone, and video consultations.

Looking for advice? Not sure where to start?
Contact us and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.

Get in touch