Intra-Company Transfers Canada | Herr Law Group

Intra-Company Transfers: Businesses Transferring Employees to Their Canadian Locations

Do you want to know your eligibility for the Intra-Company Transfer to Canada?

Call us or take less than a minute to fill our Online Assessment.

Within 24 hours of your request, one of our immigration specialists will contact you to schedule a phone or Skype consultation.

Start Your Online Assessment

Or Call Us: +1 (604) 372-0499

You can temporarily work in Canada as a high skilled worker under the Intra-Company Transfer program. It is a part of Canadian Business Immigration.

If you are employed by or own an international company with a parent company, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate in Canada, you can transfer on this Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exempt work permit.

The Intra-Company Transferee is designed to facilitate the hiring of temporary skilled workers who have specialized knowledge of the business. They would be relocated to the company’s location in Canada.

Who is Eligible for the Intra-Company Transferee as an Employee?

As an employee, you will be required to meet certain general requirements:

  • Be employed at a company with a parent, branch, subsidiary or affiliate in Canada
  • Have a qualifying relationship with the company
  • Work at an executive level, a senior management level, or a position that requires specialized knowledge
  • Work at the company for 1 year in the last 3 years

Your position at the company must fall within 3 categories:

Executive Level: Executives are primarily responsible for directing a major component of the company and require general supervision from high-level management.

Senior Management Level: Senior managers are primarily in charge of the overall management of the company or managing other professional employees.

Specialized Knowledge Workers: Workers with specialized knowledge must demonstrate that they have advanced expertise in the products or services offered by the company.

What are the Requirements for the Intra-Company Transfer as a Business?

As an employer, if you want to transfer your qualified employees to Canada, then you will have to meet certain requirements.

You must be actively engaged in business with your Canadian parent company, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate.

The Intra-Company Transferee work permit can be renewed. However, certain evidence must be provided for renewals:

  • The foreign company must have a qualifying relationship with the Canadian company.
  • The Canadian office must have engaged in continuous operations in the last year
  • The Canadian office is staffed

What is the NAFTA Intra-Company Transfer?

NAFTA Intra-Company Transfer is a similar Intra-Company Transfer work permit available under the Canada-United-States-Mexico Agreement.

It is available to American and Mexican enterprises with a qualifying relationship with a parent company, branch, subsidiary or affiliate in Canada. The general requirements for this program are similar to the Intra-Company Transfer work permit.

Employees eligible for this program will be exempt from the LMIA requirement.

Intra-Company Transferees Processing Time

The processing times for an Intra-Company Transferee work permit depend on the applicant’s country of residence. Applicants who are also eligible under the Global Skills Strategy qualify for expedited 2-week processing.

Intra-Company Transferees Refusal

  1. No qualifying relationship between the Canadian and foreign entities
  2. No qualifying relationship between the employer and foreign worker
  3. Job position is ineligible

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About the Intra-Company Transfer/Transferee

Can Intra-Company Transferees transition to permanent residency?

The Intra-Company Transferees can qualify for permanent residency through the Express Entry system or 1 of the Provincial Nominee Programs.

Am I allowed to work for another employer with an Intra-Company Transferees?

No, you can not work for any other employer while holding an Intra-Company Transferees work permit since it is a closed work permit. An open work permit does not restrict you, since you can work for any employer and in any province or territory across Canada.

Do I need to give a language proficiency test for this Intra-Company Transferees work permit?

As a temporary skilled worker, you will be required to take a language proficiency test for English or French.

Can I add accompanying family members on the Intra-Company Transferee?

Yes, you are allowed to bring your spouse or common-law partner and any dependents on this work permit.

Why Start with Herr Law Group with a Free Online Assessment?

Congratulations on taking your first step towards the Intra-Company Transfer Process in Canada.

Immigration lawyers at Herr Law Group dedicate themselves to your immigration case, providing legal representation tailored to your personal situation.

Our expertise focuses on immigration and visa programs for Canada, including global immigration.

Partnering with an award-winning immigration team greatly increases the likelihood of achieving your specific immigration or visa goals.

Immigration is a complex process that requires strong legal strategy, precise paperwork and perfect attention to detail and experience dealing with immigration officials and government departments, reducing the risk of wasted time, money or permanent rejection.

Begin Your Application for Intra-Company Transfer Today!

Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online immigration assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-604-372-0499.

We have a dedicated team of licensed professionals standing by, ready to answer your immigration and visa questions. We’ve been helping people from over 120 countries for over a decade and can help you too.

Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference.

We’re open 6am-9pm PST & EST, 7 days a week and are ready for in person, phone, and video consultations.

Looking for advice? Not sure where to start?
Contact us and we’ll get back to you within 24 hours.

Get in touch